Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ministry

One of the difficulties in having a chronic illness is being involved in a ministry. My first ministry is to my husband. I've learned how to make sure the outside ministries I am involved in doesn't impact my time with Todd. He appreciates that I consider him and that at this time I'm not gone every night. Having a good relationship with my husband makes it much easier to minister to others. When I finally got to the point I needed to quit work I replaced school and work with study and investing in my relationship with Christ. That investment paid off in a big way. God had created in me a desire to disciple and teach as a full time ministry instead of the music ministry I was in. I knew that a choice would have to be made because the time demands of the music ministry weren't flexible. I made the transition a lot easier than I imagined and have never regretted the decision I made. Friends and people I met over the years became apart of my classes and became discipleship relationships. God gave me a ministry that dealt with growing and equipping individuals who longed for more of Christ. The flexibility of this ministry allows for my health issues when they arise. When I hear healthy women with families complain that they have no time to minister to others I am somewhat unsympathetic. We all make priorities in our lives and if family comes before God and before the unconditional love of others, family becomes the thing we devote our lives to. Often time management with little ones and house duties becomes the issue. Often the husband doesn't see his wife's relationship with Christ as his concern. If he does he may only allow time alone with God when it's convenient to him. The guilt placed upon women is tremendous in the church to focus solely on their families. There is so much imput from outside voices who have different opinions on how much time to devote to family that it can become fleshly instead of Spirit. There needs to be a balance so that God can lead us to minister to those around us. Ministry does not have to be an organized thing. Jesus says in Mark 12:31 to "unconditionally love your neighbor as yourself". Ministry can be anyone who crosses your path. Family can be a ministry but it shouldn't be a woman's only ministry. Pricilla and Aquila were a good example of a married couple who worked as a team to host a church in their house, disciple and evangelize wherever they were. As an individual with a chronic illness, I know the reality of limitations. Being married I understand the demands of family but my weaknesses God can use for His purposes if I seek to be used. This is not meant as a guilt trip, because the Spirit doesn't run off false guilt in us, however Hebrews 10:24 calls us to light a fire under each other to good works.

No comments: