Friday, February 15, 2008

My Memoirs

I think the best way to describe my life is to describe the soundtrack to my life. As a child of the eighties we were junkies of the muscial montages that introduced us to the wonderful world of movie soundtracks. I often pondered the philosophical issue of my own soundtrack and what would it contain. The highlights would have to be Statesboro Blues by the Allmen Brothers, I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2 and Don't Stop Believing by Journey. I'm not really into showtunes so don't expect "Oh Them Golden Slippers" or "I'm so Pretty" on my soundtrack. I don't like people mysteriously breaking out in song unless it is an authorized John Hughes musical montage. Anyhow I choose Statesboro Blues only because of the title. After being told that she was unable to have children I unexpectedly came along, unexpectedly being the operative word. My parents were the ones who originally had the Statesboro Blues since my dad was a full time student at Georgia Southern and my mom was working full time. For those of you not fimiliar with maternity leave policies in the seventies if you were pregnant you left your job once the baby was born. Needless to say when it was time for the blessed event it was my turn for the Statesboro Blues. Crazy as it may sound doctors actually gave women anesthesia back then during labor and delivery. I was not only buzzed when I was born but I was deprived of oxygen so that I was actually blue at birth. It gives my mom great pleasure to tease me that if it were not for this unfortunate incident that I might have actually had a great intellect. She wasn't hinting that I was average. She was saying it plainly. I guess I could always go back and sue the doctor for loss of mental hygiene. Has that ever crossed your mind? We have good dental hygiene and good personal hygiene but do we ever have good public hygiene? I would include mental in that...

2 comments:

Peculiar said...

You simply amaze me with your thinking. Apparently, you weren't deprived of oxygen too very long, not long enough for your brain to be deprived and you not be able to think the way you do and be so creative! It is an understatement to say that you bring a new perspective on life. Sometimes it's downright SCAARRYYY!! Glad to know you old girl!

Peculiar said...

Okay Evil Woman (I hate to even call you that because it's so NOT true as far as I know, but that's what you have as your screen name so, I have to go with that), when is the last time you've posted on this thing? Apparently, you've got more important things to do, or you've forgotten about this, or something I can't think of right now.

Anyway, I've tagged you, so you must click on the link to my post, go over there, read the post labeled "Tagged--8 random things about me," and play along. I hope you get a chance to do it. It was fun for me to just do this little thing, so I hope you have a little fun with it too. The post, my 8 random things, and the rules are all there. Have a great evening.